VAS is encouraging TSIs and their member organisations to nominate individuals to take part in the Queen’s Baton Relay in the lead up to Glasgow 2014.
The baton will travel round Scotland, through every local authority, for 40 days before the Opening Ceremony of the Glasgow 2014 Games on 23 July 2014. 4000 batonbearers are needed to carry it on its journey.
This is an opportunity to highlight the great work being done by third sector organisations –be that staff, volunteers or service users – and to ensure that the batonbearers represent Scotland in all its diversity. Please make your local networks aware of this opportunity and don’t forget to nominate someone yourself – it takes just 10 minutes.
Selection will be made at Local Authority level and the criteria are geared towards people who have made a contribution to their community in one of the following ways:
- Made a positive contribution to the lives of others through community sport
- Undertaken voluntary work or contributed to schools or youth organisations
- Contributed towards greater inclusion for disadvantaged or marginalised sectors of the community
- Been a role model or mentor to youth through sport
- Displayed a level of individual achievement against the odds
- Made a significant contribution to their local community
The deadline for completed nominations is 22 November 2013.
More information on the nomination process can be found at: http://glasgow2014.com/queens-baton-relay/pass-baton.